- Confers and collaborates with photographers, illustrators, and editors on presentation of stories and packages for the print, magazine, and online publications.
- Designs daily pages on deadline for various sections of the newspaper, including special sections, packages, and investigations.
- Leads group critiques of work (40 designers), mentors, and leads brainstorming sessions.
- Coordinates and directs the work of designers; recruits and hires designers; hires and negotiates fees with freelance contractors.
- Provides one-on-one coaching and managing of larger group projects.
- Works with the production department in pre-press and on-press supervision.
- Influences various departments with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Acquired an overall understanding of publishing by working in various departments.
- Maintains staff schedules and budgets.
- Photographed daily assignments.
- Edited and scheduled daily assignments and special projects for photography staff.
- Recruited and hired photographers.
- Recommends photo use for various section fronts.
- Conceptualized, planned and art directs large-scale location shoots with photographers.
- Works with editors, reporters, and designers on the presentation of graphics and illustrations.
- Proficient in: Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Photo Mechanic, Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint, and CCI.
- Works and art directs artists on illustration concepts.
- Recruited and hired staff and freelance artists.
- Creative Director/Coast Magazine – Jan. 2015 to June 2020
- Design Team leader/The Orange County Register – July 1999 to Jan. 2015
- Creative Art Director/Home Magazine – Aug. 2003-May 2008
- Presentation Team Leader/The Orange County Register – April 1999-July 1999
- Graphics Team Leader/The Orange County Register – May 1996-April 1999
- Design Editor/The Orange County Register – May 1990-May 1996
- Photo Editor/The Orange County Register – May 1989-May 1990
- Assistant Graphics Editor/The Cincinnati Post – Oct. 1988-May 1989
- Photo Editor/The Knoxville News-Sentinel – Sept. 1987-Sept. 1988
- Asst. Photo Editor/Photographer/The Orange County Register – June 1986-Aug. 1987
- Staff Photographer/The Vacaville Reporter – June 1984-June1986
- BA in Mass Communications with an emphasis in photojournalism: San Jose State University; Graduated with honors 1984
- Masters work in Communications at Ohio University 1987
- Web Design class at Santa Ana College 2008
- Multiple staff and individual Society of Newspaper Design awards